Balance. We hear about it & read about it : balancing work, family & our personal lives. But what does this mean: work/life balance?
The last two weeks for me, have been a whirlwind:
- The kids were on spring break & we went on a 3 day camping trip with family & friends
- We came home to the Easter holiday
- Then onto my son’s 5th grade over night field trip (which I chaperoned)
- The next day I was picking my daughter up from school, I was asked if I could volunteer at the track meet b/c they were short judges & volunteers – so I did (helping with the schools is something I feel strongly about).
- A day later we’re onto chaperoning the 3rd grade field trip to the Durham Museum of Life & Science ….
- FINALLY: The Weekend w/ NO plans!
Friday night, I sat in front of my computer trying to get a little bit of work in (I felt like I was MIA the week before).
As I perused the web, I found myself looking up, “work/life balance” (Perhaps that was because I was feeling a bit – unbalanced – trying to find time for my business, myself, my husband, the kids & the house … ).
Everyone is balancing life, work, & family. We may be juggling different things/situations, but we often share the same feelings: overwhelmed, tired, off-balance – as if we’re giving more of ourselves to one thing over another.
I came across this description of what work/life balance is not:
equal time work & equal time personal/family
Many times I have tried to make my life look like an equilateral triangle.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (period).
Life is fluid.
Balance varies for everyone depending on where you are in life & it varies on a daily basis as well.
“An effective work/life balance includes daily achievements & enjoyment”.
Achievement is self explanatory – enjoyment is not always easy for us to understand.
Finding enjoyment simply means: identifying something you can take pride in, find happiness, a sense of wellness or love … these = the “joys of living”.
Humans need both achievement & enjoyment to get the full value out of life.
This is not easy to do everyday. For myself, I must slow down & purposefully look for these some days; they are there.
To read more on work/life balance check out these sites: